Still Strong After All These Years

October 16, 2017

Construction is underway on an ambitious project to revive a long-abandoned industrial site in the heart of Canton, OH.


The site of the former Hercules Engines factory had remained largely unoccupied since the company closed its doors in 1999, concluding 84 years of operation. Over the next seven years developers considered the location for a variety of large-scale uses though none of them materialized. Between 2000 and 2008, part of the site was home to a haunted thrill attraction called “The Factory of Terror”.
In 2005 the property was purchased by a group under the name Broadview Development Company. The following year the site was added to the National Register of Historic Places, making it eligible for tax breaks if developed. Soon after, plans were made to create residential, retail, and office space on the 26 acre property.

Construction was to begin in 2009 but stalled after the subprime mortgage crisis and subsequent recession made obtaining loans difficult. Three years later, financing was secured privately and the project was split into phases, the first being the residential portion consisting of 95 market-rate apartments.

Graham is providing a total of 396 historic fixed, awning (6700 Series), and double hung (2200 Series) windows for the project.


To find out more about the Graham products used on this project, contact Bruce Croak, Graham’s marketing manager.

Top Photo Credit: “Hercules Motors Corporation Industrial Complex, 101 11th St. SE, Canton, OH 7-23-2010 11-45-28 AM” by Sanfranman59, used under CC BY-SA 3.0 / Cropped from original
Bottom Photos: Courtesy of Jamieson Ricca Fenestration

History, Baked In

October 2, 2017

The Strietmann Center is open for business following an ambitious renovation project by owner and developer Grandin Properties, partnered with Denis Back & Associates and HGC Construction.

A Delectable Past
The Strietmann building, which originally housed The Strietmann Biscuit Co., was built in phases between 1890 and 1910 and served as the company’s facility …

Graham Windows Brighten Historic Bank

September 14, 2017

The German-American Bank was built in 1889 to provide banking services to the German-speaking citizens in the St. Joseph, Missouri, region. Placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1978, this building’s ornate facade highlights the red brick exterior. It was was renamed the American National Bank in 1918. Later, it became First Federal Savings …

Battery Building Gets Energized

August 31, 2017

The former Thomas Edison factory complex in West Orange, New Jersey, is on its way to becoming a mixed-use center, serving as the anchor to a large redevelopment on this historic property. Restoring the Edison Storage Battery factory is the the first step of the redevelopment.
The Battery factory was built in 1913 by Thomas Edison, …

Graham Helps With Dramatic Transformation of Building 128, Brooklyn Navy Yard

August 18, 2017

Maurice Benor, Graham’s New York sales rep, remembers seeing Building 128 for the first time.
This entirely glass-clad building, which Marvel Architects says was “once a stunning cathedral to ship manufacture,” had fallen into steep decline.
“The building was totally dilapidated,” Maurice recalls. “It was almost gone. It was literally rotting away – it was …

Graham Windows Installed in Another UT Residence Hall

August 4, 2017

The 2017 spring semester brought the opening of Stokely Hall, the third new University of Tennessee (UT) residence hall to open within the last academic year. Located at the corner of Lake Loudoun and Volunteer boulevards in Knoxville, it houses 684 students.  The building is on the site of the former Gibbs Hall and the …

Brooklyn’s Navy Green Earns Urban Land Institute Honors

July 18, 2017

The multi-phase, mixed-use new residential development in Brooklyn, NY, has already been recognized as the first LEED for Neighborhood Development-certified project in the state of New York. More recently, Navy Green received a 2017 Urban Land Institute (ULI) Award for Excellence in Development.
And Graham windows are all over Navy Green.
According to the Urban …

High End Apartment Complex Features Graham Windows

July 7, 2017

Roebling Lofts, erected in 1917, is the former home of the Clark Street Rope Shop, one of seven buildings that once comprised John A. Roebling’s Sons Company. Through his company, Roebling, the designer of the Brooklyn Bridge, supplied steel wire used in the Golden Gate Bridge, as well as other applications, such as The Spirit …

Graham Brings Light to a “Concrete Block” in Brooklyn

June 27, 2017

It’s easy to take for granted the contribution windows make to the urban landscape … until you encounter a structure like Building 77 in the Brooklyn Navy Yard.
Opened in 1942, Building 77 stood for decades as, in the words of one website, a “gargantuan 16-story concrete block.” Windowless in 11 of its 16 stories, …

Graham Helps Yet Another Project Receive Awards

June 20, 2017

Recently, Lane Tech College Prep High School was celebrated for its significant transformation. Tyler Lane Construction and the entire Lane Tech project team accepted not one, but two coveted awards, receiving the Owner’s Choice Award and the Rehab Construction Award at the annual Chicago Building Congress (CBC) Merit Awards.
Lane Tech College Prep High School, …